What is Gelred?
Answer: GelRed is a nucleic acid gel stain
- The Biotium GelRed is a more sensitive and safer EtBr ethidium bromide for staining dsDNA, ssDNA or RNA in agarose or polyacrylamide gels.
- No destaining needed.
- GelRed is non-mutagenic
- non- cytotoxic
- inert chemical
- GelRed can be disposed of in regular waste and is compatible with a standard UV transilluminator.
Benefits of using GelRed
• Can be disposed of down the drain or in regular waste
• Much more sensitive than EtBr and SYBR® Safe
• Simple to use
• Stable at room temperature for long-term storage
• Compatible with a standard UV transilluminator
- GelRed and GelGreen® do not readily penetrate living cells
- GelRed & GelGreen do not readily penetrate living cells
- HeLa cells were incubated for 30 minutes at 37°C with 1X SYBR® Safe, GelRed, or GelGreen. SYBR® Safe rapidly bound to DNA in live cells resulting in bright green nuclear staining. GelRed and GelGreen were unable to bind DNA in live cells, shown by the absence of fluorescence.
- Comparison of mutagenicity
Comparison of mutagenicity among GelGreen, GelRed, SYBR® Green I and EtBr in +1 frameshift Salmonella indicator strain TA98 with the presence of S9 fraction. * indicates EB was not tested at this concentration. # indicates SYBR Green I was toxic at this concentration.
GelRed is superior to EtBr
- Comparison of ethidium bromide (EtBr) and GelRed® in precast gel staining using 1% agarose gel in TBE buffer.
- Comparison of ethidium bromide (EtBr) and GelRed in precast gel staining using 1% agarose gel in TBE buffer. Two-fold serial dilutions of 1 kb Plus DNA Ladder (Invitrogen) were loaded in the amounts of 200 ng, 100 ng, 50 ng and 25 ng from left to right. Gels were imaged using 300 nm transilluminator and photographed with an EtBr filter.
• 10,000X in water
• 3X in water
• 10,000X in DMSO
• Gel purification
• Restriction digest
Request a free sample of GelRed
Material available for download
GelRed and GelGreen safety report
Application note: comparison of nucleic acid gel stains
Application note: next generation gel imaging using GelRed and GelGreen dye
Note: product availability depends on country - see product detail page.
Details Cat number & supplier Size Price
GelRed® Nucleic Acid Gel Stain 10.000X in DMSO
Biotium 0.5 ml 150 euro
GelRed Nucleic Acid Gel Stain, 10,000X in DMSO 5 pack
Biotium 5 x 0.5 ml 600 euro
GelRed® Nucleic Acid Gel Stain, 10,000X in Water
Biotium 0.5 ml 120 euro
GelRed Nucleic Acid Gel Stain, 10,000X in water 5 pack
Biotium 5 x 0.5 ml 550 Euro
GelRed® Nucleic Acid Gel Stain, 10,000X in Water, bulk pack
Biotium 10 ml 2220 euro
GelRed® Nucleic Acid Gel Stain, 10,000X in DMSO, bulk pack
Biotium 10 ml 1125 euro
GelRed® Nucleic Acid Gel Stain, 3X in Water
Biotium 4 l 288 euro